During the COVID-19 lockdown which was one of the recent global pandemics, everyone was pushed into the confines of their homes. In this period, people were involved in so many different lockdown routines. Some of us were busy with learning new skills, some found comfort spending the most time on Netflix, and some were busy decorating their homes.
Things we are going to be covering includes the following.
- Top Best of Waste Ideas For Your Modern Living Room
- The Kitchen Best of Waste Ideas You Need
- Modernized Best Waste of Ideas In The Bedroom
- Best of Waste Ideas In The Bathroom
- Playful Best of Waste Ideas In The Balcony
A detailed and entertaining way to spend the new lockdown coming up with your lovely children or your spouse.
I will be sharing 25 ideas to beautify your home with waste you literally throw away on many occasion.
These ideas are very easy and doable even if you are lockdown at home with limited items and unable to go out. This article is also going to bring out the hidden artist in you as well. We have compiled a list of some of the most unique and easy-to-do crafting ideas that you can create from waste that we produce daily just to get us all in the creative activities now.
Best of Waste Ideas for the Living Room
This is arguably the most decorated room to many families.
Here are some ideas on how to decorate your living room with waste in your house or junkyards.
1. Rope Ottoman Using a Tyre
Tyres are types of waste that are considered toxic waste and can be quite difficult to recycle. Using this waste and a simple step, you can make good use of an old tyre, and your ottoman will be ready. This do it yourself project can easily be done and it is very durable, relaxing, and safe for kids.
To produce this amazing craft, you will need the following.
• Used Tyre
• A round half-inch-thick plywood
• Hot Glue Gun
• Sponge for cushioning
How to turn an old tyre into a rope Ottoman
- You need to clean the tyre with a dry cloth, to begin with – If it is very dirty, rinse and allow it to dry completely.
- Screw the round half-inch-thick plywood into your tyre very tight to prevent it from coming off. Repeat the same process for each hole for both sides of the tyre.
- Start gluing the middle of the circle to obtain a good finish. Use the hot glue gun to apply the glue on the board and secure one end of the rope (sisal).
- Firmly hold the tip to adhere well and go round spirally. Ensure enough glue is applied before each round to make it stick harder and tight.
- After covering the plywood with the rope (sisal), repeat the same process for the same edge of the tire using enough glue. Make sure that the end of the sisal from the board meets the beginning of the one on the edge.
- After the whole rubber has been covered with the rope (sisal), Apply the sealer to the brush and cover all rope (sisal) surfaces.
- Wait patiently for an hour before attaching another coat to it. With all this done properly, the sealer is ready to touch a day after although it will take
2. Table Lamb using Egg Tray
You can make use of egg cartons to make a beautiful table lamp. Different colors can be used to match the theme of your living room and make an awesome corner. This can also be hung on the balcony and enjoy the view from the living room.
• Cardboard egg cartons (approximately 10 cartons of 12 dozen size)
• Spray paint
• Chicken wire
• LED light string
• Floral light string
How to make an Egg carton lamp
- Carefully cut the individual egg cartons out and trim them neatly to look like flowers.
- Place the cups on a plastic sheet and spray both the inside and outside part of the cup and allow then to dry.
- Insert a lightbulb into individual holes of the chicken wire and ensure you use small pieces of the floral wire to tie the light of the chicken wire.
- After all lights have been poke and attached, form the chicken wire into a cylinder, and tie it with the wire. Stand the cylinder up like a table lamp.
- Use a craft knife, on the bottom of each egg cup, cut an X then push the egg cups on each of the light bulbs.
- Plug into a light source and enjoy.
3. Tyre Umbrella Stand
Are you tired of wet umbrellas dripping water on your floor? This is the perfect solution for you.
- Knife (Keep away from kids)
All you need is an old tyre, a sharp knife that can be used to bore a hole through the tyre for the umbrella to be able to pass through.
- Use the water to wash your tyre and knife before starting.
- Place your knife on the part of tyre you need to cut or put a hole.
- Clean your hands and start using your Umbrella stand.
4. Shoebox to Storage Box
Storing little items like your kids’ toys is now made easy with this DIY project that is made from the waste shoe box. With their gorgeous looks, they can be kept on the shelf.
Requirements to produce your own shoe storage from the best waste products in our home.
• Decorative sheets
• Leather straps (optional)
• Glue stick
• Label maker for labeling boxes.
- First thing to do is to ensure you keep the glue stick, glue and scissors away from the children.
- Take your scissors and cut out the exact measurement of the decorated sheets you need to cover the shoebox.
- Use the glue stick to take a few glue and roll it around the shoebox to get the decorated sheets to stick.
- Leave for a few minutes to stick
- Label the boxes while arranging it in order.
5. Candle Holder Using Glass Jar
Africans uses candles a lot due to the electricity challenges. One of the cheapest ways of lightening my house growing up was the use of candles. The standard of living and more technological investment have change the use of candles as a source of light to decoration in our homes.
The following are required to start this little project.
• Used jar
• Real or fake leaves (you can also use the decorative fabric of your choice)
- Use clean water to wash the Jar
- Place Colored Fake or Real leaves inside the jar with some water in it
- Carefully place the candle inside.
If you want to make your home lighten up and wow your kids, this is one of the best of waste product you can work with to beautify your home.
6. Jewelry Organizer Using an Old Frame
The main requirements to enjoy this DIY is simply to have the following.
• Antique mirror frame
- Clean your antique mirror frame with a nice clean cloth.
- Use the paint to give it a new color
- Lace it around
- Start using your antique.
7. Cardboard Photo Frame
Making your very own photo frame saves your a lot of money. These frames are very easy to make and only needs little stationery items.
The waste required to carry out this simple, yet beautiful photo frame are;
• Pen, ruler
• Glue gun
• Paint, glitter, and other decorative items of your choice
- Take the scissors and carefully keep it away from children.
- Use your measuring instruments such as the pen and ruler to get your desired shape.
- Use the glue gun on the cardboard to make the photo stick
- Carefully decorate the frame with glitters and any other items you wish can decorate the frame for you.
- After placing it carefully, wait for the right time to dry up, then hang your frame.
8. Jar Pencil Holder
Mason jars can be turned into different means of storying your stationaries like pen, pencil, rulers,
etc. You can also spice things up by painting the jars.
To get started, you will need the following items.
• Spray Primer
• Acrylic Craft paint
This is one of the best bonding product ideas you can make out of waste with your kids.
- Take your mason jar and clean with water.
- Spray paint your jar to any color of your choice
- Use the paint brushes to craft any character you want on the jar and lastly your sealant stick it.
9. Clock Using Cardboard
Create your very own customized cardboard clock in 30mins. This is very good for kids as well to help them read and even understand how a clock is designed to work.
• Thick cardboard
• Clock piece
• Number stickers (You can create your own using cardboard)
• Scrapbook paper
• Jute string for decorating edges
- To start, you will need a thick cardboard cut in a circle shape or square like a clock.
- Use the clock piece by placing it in the middle of the cardboard.
- Take your number stickers and place it around the cardboard in clockwise direction
- String it together and start enjoying your own cardboard clock with your kids.
10. Plastic Spoon Lamp
This alluring lamp can be cheaply made in just a very short period of time and its one of the best out of waste ideas you can simple enjoy with your children, nephews and nieces. You can also paint the spoons to match the theme of your décor.
• Large plastic bottle
• Plastic spoons
• Bulb with holder
• Knife/box cutter
• Glue/glue gun
The process of making this beautiful spoon lamp requires listening and fitting details.
Follow the process watching this video.
Best of Waste ideas for the Kitchen
Let us look at ideas on a few DIY project we can make in the kitchen, and still enjoy making them with kids during holidays or COVID-19 season.
11. Spoon Stand from Cardboard
This is an amazing concept of keeping your kitchen utensils and it can be place on your dinner table or in the Kitchen.
The following is required to make this beautiful piece for your kitchen.
• Cardboard rolls
• Glue gun
• Acrylic paints, Rope and Ceramic Powder
12. Kitchen Organizer Using Old Oil Can
You can use an old oil can and transform it into your own utensil holder to avoid spending a huge amount of cash on new kitchen organizers.
The following are required to produce this ideas out of waste and get to enjoy the time with your kids.
- Olive oil can
- Can opener
- Paint (optional)
- The first step is to make sure you clean the old oil can you have with you.
- Use a can opener to open the oil can.
- Paint the oil can into any color you want and start enjoying a nice kitchen organizer.
13. DIY Kitchen Organizer Using Coca-Cola Crate
Give your kitchen a rustic look with Coca-Cola crate spice holder. With less items, you can make this organizer for your kitchen.
To do this yourself, you will need the following.
- Old Coca-Cola crate
- Picture hangers (extra large to hold the weight)
14. Bottlecap Food Magnets
Create your own bottle cap magnet by following this simple and fun tutorial. You can create numerous designs that would give your refrigerator door a beautiful look.
Here`s a list of items needed to do this beautiful art yourself.
- Beads,colorful sheets for decoration
- Small magnet for refrigerator
Best Out-of-Waste Ideas for Bathroom
Get the best out of your bathroom with this simple design you can make yourself or allow your kids to make them for you.
15. Tyre Mirror Frame
Your hallway deserves a fantastic look and a very easy to make mirror frame. So insteasd of discarding your tyres use can use it in various create ways.
- Old tire
- Circular Wooden Frame
- Circular mirror
- Take an old tyre from your garage and clean it thoroughly.
- Get a circular wooden frame and placed inside the tyre.
- Fit your circular mirror into the frame and start using your self made mirror
16. Mirror Frame from egg cartoon
This work of art is achieved with the use of the most straightforward items. All that’s needed is different-colored egg boxes to create flowers and glue them to the frame.
- Egg cartons (approximately 12)
- Hot glue
- Plain mirror frame
17. Creative Vase Using Metallic Jars
This is a great way to give your bathroom an awesome and natural look. Adding these metallic jars with some real or artificial plants.
The process to put together this décor with old waste is simple.
- Old metallic jars
- Spray paint
- Artificial plants
- Take your metallic jar from the garage and clean it thoroughly.
- Spray paint it and décor with any other items you have to sparkle it up or just paint it.
- Slowly place your artificial plants in it.
- Start enjoying the view everyday.
18. Rope Storage Box
If you are the organized type, this is a great way for you to bond with your kids, siblings, nephews and nieces. Making of Rope Storage Box from a waste is an idea best taught to people who loves to stay organized and it is very cheap to make too.
The process requires the following.
- Old cardboard box
- Rope or jute rope
- Glue gun
- Scrapbook paper
19. Rake Jewelry Hanger
The tooth bar of a garden rake can be transformer in a jewelry organizer. You can beautifully color it to your taste also.
Materials required to create your jewelry hanger.
- Metal part of a garden rake
- Spray paint
- Drilling machine
- Clean your garden rake
- Spray paint it after cleaning.
- Twine it nicely.
- Screw in the garden rake on the wall horizontally.
20. Mason Jar Tissue Holder
With your mason jar and decorative items, you can make you personalized tissue box. Colors can also be added for beautification.
- Mason jar
- Scrapbook paper
- Glue gun
- Spray paint and oil paint
Best Out-of-Waste Ideas for the Balcony
21. Vertical Garden Using Plastic Bottles
If you have a very small balcony then this vertical garden using plastic bottles is perfect for you as it would save you a lot of space and give your balcony wall a new look.
This is one of the best out of waste ideas invented. You will need the following to start up the process from beginning to the end.
- Plastic bottles
22. Tyre Flower Pot
With no or less stress your old tyres can be used as beautiful tyre flow pots to beautify your balcony.
- Rimless tire
- Coping saw or sharp knife
- Water-based paint
- Place your rimless tire nicely in your garden.
- Use a sharp knife to cut through
- Paint it nicely
- Place the live plant nicely and start your beautiful tyre pot flower.
23. Used Cans to make garden pots
With your used cans, you no long have to spend money on flower pots. Instead soil can be poured into this used cans and be used for your gardens.
- Old cans
- Seeds or saplings
- Can opener to cut the top
24. Bottle cap chime
Their are variety of things that can be done with bottle cap, including a lovely wind chime. This is made by putting holes through the bottle caps and string them together to create this rustic and vintage-style chime to beautify your balcony.
- Bottle caps
- Beads for decoration
- Glue gun
- Metallic divine twine
- Glue gun
- Old can lid for the top
25. DIY lamp shade for Balcony
Twigs can be used to make a beautiful lamp that would virtually cost you nothing and is a piece of art to decorate your balcony. This is a very creative and exciting project that will may ever come across.
- Inflatable ball or balloon
These waste ideas for your home decoration does not just save you from extra cost but also brings out the hidden artist in you.
We hope these best waste ideas for your home decoration can help you in redecorating your home in the best way possible especially during situations where items are very limited for you.